The NavHaz Junction Forum Index
Front Page | Forum Root | Downloads | FAQ | Search | Memberlist | Profile | Login to check messages | Log in | Register
<  omg
Slim Shady
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:19 am  Reply with quote

can i... can i have an avatar???
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:36 am  Reply with quote

It would figure that the first real post would be an off topic troll post...

Well, to freakin' hijack this sucker;

If I'm not fedsafe, and my fedsafe corpie has a towlock on me, can he tow me to fed and extend his protection to me??

Laff

edited; looked and saw that MY avatar is workin' just fine..where is yours?? heh, nice site Sing!!

Before judging another, always walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!!
Slim Shady
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:09 am  Reply with quote

answer 1, no
answer 2, it's smaller than EIS!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:39 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

LOL yea, ya can. I had to make a few changes but it should work now. It is limited to 10k (laff) and 100x100 so it doesn't blow up the window too badly.
Bait
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Figures.. Slim is the first to Post.. damn them people.. damn them all to hell!

Mtn Dew is good FOOD!!!
Crosby
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Ya see, that wasn't too hard; actual content.

Yeah, you can't tow in Fed, so you can tow in, but the tow is lost in Fed. See how I worked Fed and tow into the post a bunch? So our pathetic little to-and-fro will be available to search in the future.

And so the archive begins.

Before judging another, always walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes!!
Slim Shady
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

are you sure you lose tow in fed? last i checked you don't.
although, admittedly, it's been a while, but as memory serves me, you do not lose tow in fed.

and sing, 10k is too small Razz atleast like 30 or 40 so i can scramble up *something*
Smile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

You dont lose tow in fed. You just cant lock tow in fed.
Crosby
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

ok then.

so to get back to my stupid towing question; are ya able to hit a ship 'in-tow?'

So you can tow a guy into Fed, and then warp/tow him back out?

The reasons I'm seemingly obsessed with this is that I really couldn't finda decent explaination in cabal (prolly not lookin' in right place) or searching the other forums. -plus to totally hijack yer dumb avatar thread.

So if I do get a few decent answers, it should add to the 'searchable' database. Plus, now I'm kinda curious, and too lazy to test it myself.Razz

Slim Shady
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:07 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, you can attack a towed in enemy.
Yes, you can tow someone in, and tow them out, as long as both you and him don't drop tow Smile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:34 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

You can tow to any sector if you can make it into that sector. If you make it, they do to. If you don't, they can't.

Examples:
Fusing - You fuse into haz, they sit there in their old sector unharmed

Invading - You blast on the cannon and become haz, they sit in the sector and do nothing.

Attacking figs - You have to make it past the figs to get someone in. You can foton underneath them however all the same. This is a common strategy for bringing in more figs than your ship can hold, you tow a ship in, foton under, xport out then bring in a 2nd ship and have a corpie use the previous 2 ships to refill you.

Haz - If you smack haz and pod, you pod... they'll stay in their original sector (iirc)

Once someone is towed in you'll keep tow lock until something is done to break it. Porting at a port doesn't drop tow lock so you can tow someone, grab ore and keep going with them in lock.

Landing on a planet (even terra) or starting an attack, however, does drop the tow lock.

Used to be that porting at stardock didn't drop the tow lock, this was changed by JP when people would hold a ship in tow and another at the sell prompt, bypassing the extern tow rule. So now docking at stardock does drop the tow. That only happens if you land at the actual stardock, not if you just port at the stardock's port... which means if it sells fuel you can tow someone to dock, get fuel, and tow them out w/o losing the lock.

You also keep the lock if you port at a class 0, altho the ship/player stays in sector. This means that if you need to drop a ship for your corpie but you aren't fedsafe, you'll either want to land on terra to clear the lock or macro the lock off... or you'll just end up towing the ship out when you leave.

Likewise if they land at terra or dock, you lose the lock. I'm not sure if you lose the lock if they port for fuel... I'd have to test that. I also don't know if they port to attack dock if it drops the lock, that could be interesting.

I also don't know if the other player (the towed player) powers up on someone if it will cause the lock to drop. If not that could be a fun strategy since feeding someone figs doesn't drop the lock. You could tow them in, they could use a heavy non-twarp ship to blow up the target (or stardock) and you could tow them right back out again... maybe, if that all holds true.

If you're towing a trader into fed (dock or elsewhere) you don't get any of their fed safety. Infact they won't get the msg they've been towed until AFTER they've been towed, so if their ping isn't too hot it's possible that the enemy could see them being towed in and pod them before they can land on dock/terra.

If the trader xports out of the ship to another ship in-sector I believe you will lose lock. If you're locked on to a ship and someone xports into it or locks onto the ship, you will lose the tow lock.

All of this amounts to a few places where you can tow someone in to fed and they'll stay locked.
Slim Shady
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:54 am  Reply with quote

i believe you can still hold an unmanned ship from dock (think shipyards) unless that was changed, though i doubt it
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Slim Shady wrote:
i believe you can still hold an unmanned ship from dock (think shipyards) unless that was changed, though i doubt it

Yep, I did it a few nights ago with a ship sell lock. Using either a ship sell lock or a port with ship in tow is about the only safe way for a red and if you drop connection at the wrong time the blues go on an attack frenzy.

For those that haven't done it, you can also ZTM from stardock using interrogation mode. If you are doing it from on stardock, that means you probably aren't fedsafe and a dropped connection will result in the above attack.
Slim Shady
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:03 am  Reply with quote

i suggest shipyards, tavern, etc.. to do it, rather than at the stardock prompt, as mistypes can be costly Smile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:46 am  Reply with quote
Site Admin

You can hold it from the sell prompt, yes. But before the change you could hold one in tow lock and another at the sell prompt, meaning you could hold 2 ships.

I normally go to the bank prompt since you can't buy anything by mistake there.

Also easy scrub macro...

p s g y g

Buffered on the bank prompt, courtesy of the rev.

Yea you can ztm from the CIM from dock. In the same manner you can also just plot a mow course out via CIM. Since move takes the same as a power-up you've got a decent shot at getting off dock on a mow.